About Hauz Khas
Hauz Khas is the historical battleground where Timur
defeated Mohammed Shah Tughlaq in 1398. One can find the remnants of
an ancient college and Feroz Shah�s tomb here and on the east to a
short distance the Moth ki Masjid �built in the finest Lodi style.
Once an archetypal North Indian Village in the heart of Delhi�s urban
sprawl, Hauz Khas is now a shopper�s paradise successfully marketing
the concept of �ethnicity� in every possible way. There are boutiques
selling furniture, clothes, jewelry and art along with a smattering of
restaurants that serve a variety of �authentic� cuisine. One wanders
down a quaint narrow alley experiencing all these ending up in a
surprisingly well-kept sprawling monument. Hauz Khas was a large
reservoir built by Allauddin Khilji that was once the water catchments
for the city. This village is remarkable for both the ancient and
charming ruins in the nearby compound looking down on a still, green
tank, as well as for the modern and posh shopping complex, which has
sprung up around here. The madarsa, tombs and mosque around it built
by Feroz Shah Tuglaq still make for an exclusive and exciting
Alauddin Khilji(1296-1316) excavated a large tank here for the
use of the inhabitants of Siri. Hauz Khas is the second city of
medieval Delhi. It was originally known as Hauz-i-Alai after Khilji.
Firuz Shah Tughlaq (1351-88) re-excavated the silted tank and raised
several buildings on its southern and eastern banks which are known as
Hauz-Khas or royal tank. the enclosure wall is partly modern.
A building of historical importance within this enclosure is the tomb
of Firuz Shah Tughlaq, which was repaired during the reign of Sikandar
Lodhi in 1507 AD, as is evidenced from an inscription on the entrance.
The multi-storeyed wings consisting of series of halls and chambers on
the north and west of Firuz Shah's Tomb were built by him in about
1354 AD. to serve as a madrasa or college for theological training.
Staircases lead down to the tank from the upper storey of the madrasa.
At the northern extremity of the enclosure is a small mosque. One of
the old entrances to the enclosure is from the west, now closed. The
octagonal and square chhatris standing here were built as tombs over
the graves possibly of teachers attached to the madrasa.
Taimur, who invaded Delhi in 1399, was highly impressed by the tank
and buildings around it, but wrongly ascribed its construction to
Firuz Shah Tughlaq. (Source: Archaeological Survey of India)
Now Hauz Khas is one of the elitest South Delhi areas. Although Hauz
Khas Village is not always kept in perfect condition, it houses
exclusive boutiques and is home to several excellent restaurants, and
is an expensive shopping district. It is surrounded by Safdarjung
enclave, Green Park, Deer Park and the Indian Institute of Technology,