Bharatpur - The Eastern
Gateway to Rajasthan, was founded by Maharaja Suraj Mal in 1733 AD, it
was once an impregnable well fortified city, carved out of the region
formerly known as Mewat. The trio of Bharatpur, Deeg and Dholpur has
played an important part in the history of Rajasthan.
The legends say that the place was named as Bharatpur after the name
of Bharat, the brother of Lord Rama, whose other brother Laxman was
worshipped as the family deity of the Bharatpur rulers, Laxman's name
is engraved onthe state arms and the seals.
The city and the fort have been believed to be founded by Rustam, a
Jat of Sogariya clan. Maharaja Surajmal took over from Khemkaran, the
son of Rustam and established the empire. He fortified the city by
building a massive wall around the city.
The interesting aspect of the Bharatpur history is the domination of
Jats in the region since 17th century, leader like Churaman and Badan
Singh brought the Jats together to mould them into a force to reckon
with. Suraj Mal has been the greatest ruler who made them a formidable
force and played a very important role in the Indian history during
Places of Tourist Interest in Bharatpur
It is a fine fusion of Mughal and Rajput architecture and was built in
various phases by different maharajas. The magnificent apartments are
richly decorated with patterned floor tiles having exquisite and
intricate designs. The museum occupies the main central wing
displaying collections dating back to the 2nd century which
demonstrates the art and skill of the region.
It is a fine fusion of Mughals and Rajput architecture and was built
in various phases by different maharajas. The magnificent apartments
are richly decorated with patterned floor tiles having exquisite and
intricate designs. The building Kamra Khas, within the fort, has been
converted into a museum displaying a rich collection of antiquities,
exquisite sculptures and some ancient inscription.
The museum occupies the main central wing displaying collections
dating back to the 2nd century, which demonstrates the art and skill
of the region. The sculptures speak volumes about the art and culture
that flourished here in those timers and help in tracing the
inscriptions are of immense historical value and help in tracing the
royal lineage and local life.
KEOLADEO GHANA NATIONAL PARK
This bird paradise acquired its name Keoladeo because of the
existence of the Keoladeo temple of Lord Shiva. After the name of this
temple the lake is called Ghana Keoladeo. Ghana being the vernacular
synonym for dense forest. It was known as the best duck shooting
resort during the British reign, but was declared a reserve for birds
in 1956 and later upgraded to a National Park.
The geographical location is
ideal, as it is on the main north-south avian route of India. Although
small in size (only 29 sq. kms), it has over 375 species of beautiful
birds, and more than 132 of these breeds inside the Keoladeo Ghana
National Park. Almost every year, new species are added to the list.
The Bird Sanctuary not only attracts birds from all over India, but
also from far off Europe, Siberia, China and Tibet